New joiner information
Getting ready to board for the first time can feel daunting so, to help new joiners, our Year 4 boys have shared some of their thoughts on boarding below. The uniform list can be found at the bottom of the page.
What do you enjoy most about boarding?
- It’s like a sleepover every night
- It’s fun having time with your friends each night in the dorms
- Dorm competitions are fun
- There is a prize for 'Boy of the Week'
- If you’re ever sad, there are lots of people (staff & boys) around to help
- There is lots of free time & fun activities
- Grub shop on Sunday is brilliant
- It feels like home in the dormitories
- Playing bingo in the evenings
- Baking biscuits & cooking pizza
What are your top tips for new boarders?
- Pre-order magazines to arrive in the post every week (eg Beano or Match of the Day Magazine)
- Bring in pictures for your bedside (eg your family or pets)
- Bring in your skateboard & your scooter 🛴 to enjoy the school ramps (don't forget your helmet!)
- Set up a Skype account so you can video call your family (you can also call from the phones)
- Choose a cool colour for your tuck box
- Select the most fun pyjamas or onesies you can find
- Don’t forget your key chain for your tuck box keys
- Bring lots of teddies
- Don't forget posters and pictures to decorate your pinboard
- Don't forget the ear plugs (some boys snore!)
To find out more about boarding at Cothill, you may enjoy watching our boarding stories video.